Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tropical summer dress!

(Fabric is vintage cotton plisse. I would never really know the differenc between seersucker and plisse but according to the all powerful Google search, plisse is fabric that is puckered because of a treatment to the fabric and the puckered fabric of seersucker is caused by the weave. Is that why seersucker puckers in straight lines and the puckering of the plisse weaves all over the place? My technical knowledge of all this stuff is about nil.)

Currently making this pattern fit onto this fabric with a half yard less than it calls for.

1. Skirt is about 28.5" long from natural waistline to raw edge - I only need it to be 22 inches long when hemmed, and I don't think all two inches is necessary so I shortened each skirt piece 4" and "cut" about an inch off the bottom (10 inches saved)

2. Pleated the bodice to shorten it by 2 inches (4 inches saved)

So, that only saves me 14 inches, not the 18 I'd need.

BUT I laid it out and it works (dare I say perfectly)! Pieces are cut and marked and my fingers are crossed. My luck, I will have laid it out improperly and something will be backwards. I would be super super super pissed. I'm being optimistic, though, and saying everything was done correctly.

Hopefully, forward progres on Saturday or Sunday. I'm all aquiver.