Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tropical Dress part deux

Ok, so here's the first look at the dress. It still needs a zipper put in, shoulder pads, the sleeves hemmed, bias facing around the neck, and the bottom hemmed.


So here's the gaters under the bust. They're not very even but actually do look better in person. I don't know why I have such a hard time with gathers.

I haven't decided what to do at the neck. The pattern calls for a worked eye and button with a bow tacked on. I don't like big things at my neck like that (according to some past life expert dude who was on the radio, it means I was strangled or hung or some such in a past life...whatever) so I was thinking that instead of a bias facing, I may face the neck with fabric and extend either end out for a little tie and then forgo the button; or just leave a button at the neck.

Dress was easy to construct, though I did change it a bit. The directions say to fold under the seam allowance for the skirt pieces and top stitch to bodice. I've never had much luck with that for some reason so I was lazy and just stitched the pieces together and then top stitched. It definitely has a slightly different look to it than it would otherwise. The only thing that bothers me is that the point of the skirt in the front isn't as sharp as it would be if I had follwed the directions. The bodice is just a tidge too short. It doesn't look bad (I don't think so, at least) but I may have been able to leave as it was. Also, for some reason, I was supposed to leave the left side open around the tie and then face the opening and put a snap there. I'm really not sure why so I stitched the whole thing shut and it's fine.

So that's it! More pics when it's finally finished.

No comments: