Friday, October 3, 2008

First Post

I'm doing this mainly to organize my thoughts about my many projects. Every time I look at the pile of patterns I'd like to complete I get overwhelmed. I enjoy sewing but sometimes it's more of a chore because I feel compelled to do it by my lack of height (4'9) and my lack of cash for really nice vintage clothes. I just can't bring myself to buy something that is too long only to cut the bottom off to shorten the hem. The other great thing is that when I inevitably get red lipstick on it or spill coffee on it or drop something greasy on it, I can throw it in the wash or remake it if it's beyond help. So, first project......



I just started this pattern. I'm really excited to have a pair of vintage-ish jeans. I'm not too pleased with my selection of denim but I'm not sure what late 30's, early 40's denim looked like. These pants are darted in the front and back with a pocket and cuffed wide legs. I've already made the overalls from this pattern. I'm not so good on grading patterns and this pattern is about two sizes to big. I've pieced everything together but I have to adjust it to fit. I'm really not good at getting pants to fit and I don't remember how I got the overalls to fit.....Grrr, frustrating.




I also knit.....a little...This sweater has been super easy to do except for the pitfalls I put in my own path. I wasn't paying attention and knit too many rows of the red. Since the pattern has a lot of knitting two together and slipping stitches, I'm not sure how to undo this mistake except knitting backwards through 14 rows. I really don't want to have to go all the way to the ribbing to pick up a row and unravel the rest. I'm almost to shaping the sleeves! I may end up doing that just because I have a 12 hour roundtrip car ride coming up and I should be able to finish most of the sweater during that time.

No comments: