Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Weekend in Gettysburg

I spent the weekend at Ike's Farm in Gettysburg for a WWII living history event! It was super warm during the day and freezing cold at night! It was hard to know what to wear so there was a lot of changing going on during the day. Saturday morning was a long convoy through the countryside starting at 8. It was so cold I decided I just couldn't wear a dress; not on a convoy in a Jeep.


Pants: wool flannel, made from an early 40's pattern
Shirt: JCrew, Purse: vintage
Sunglasses: vintage from ebay
Earrings: plastic red flowers from Urban Outfitters
I also wore the brown jacket I bought off Etsy but I didn't get any good pics of that.
Later it got so warm I threw on a brown herringbone skirt I made from a McCall's pattern. Again, no pics.
Saturday, really cold in the morning (as in I couldn't stand the thought of taking off my clothes to change) but by 9:00 it was already starting to warm up so I threw on a dress:


My hair was a little lacking on the second day but oh well. This dress was made from some cotton fabric I found on sale at Joanne Fabrics. There was just enough to make the dress so it worked out great! The buttons and buckle are vintage. They aren't a set but you can't tell. Unfortunately one of my buttons fell off so I safety pinned the the top together. I did find the button as I was packing up at the end of the day for which I am very very grateful! The bike is my father-in-law's Harley WLA and the Jeep in the background is his as well, as is the WC in the first pic.

It was the first event my husband had been to in 2 years what with all the mobilization and deployment business going on so he had an absolute blast! He rode the WLA in the convoy and helped with traffic control; blocking off intersections, etc. He was like a kid in a candy shop! I'm so glad he had a good time!

No comments: